Welcome to Ask Away Friday, friends.
What’s Ask Away Friday, you ask? It is just a simple way for bloggers to get to know one another better. It is like speed dating in the blogging world. Two bloggers exchange 10 questions to answer, write a post and link up to an Ask Away Friday “party”. It has hosts. That makes it a party right?? I thought so too. This week’s hosts are Penny from The Real Housewife of Caroline County, Amber from The Bold Fab Mom, Tiffany from Mrs Tee Love Life Laughter and Stacey from This Momma’s Ramblings.
When Beth from Structure in an Unstructured Life approached me to participate in this week’s roundup, I immediately said yes. I’m convinced Beth is my long lost sister from another mister. Every time I read her blog, I find that she has recently posted exactly what I have been thinking! Coincidence? I think not. Not only is she an amazing mom to 4 and 7 year old little men but she is also the super lucky wife of a football coach. I fantasize that she is living out Eric and Tami Taylor’s lives from Friday Night Lights….just in Michigan not Texas. Visit her blog where you can find inspiring and heartwarming posts about parenting, clever tips on organization and a bounty of recipes too! You can also find her answer to my questions including just how closely her life resembles the Taylors.
1. Your son is 2 – what is your favorite thing and least favorite thing about this age? Technically he is only 16 months old! He acts and looks like a 2 year old though, right?! I LOVE this age! I am completely mesmerized by him right now. He is acquiring new skills and abilities every day. It is so amazing to watch him as he learns about himself and the world around him. He just learned to identify some of his body parts this week like his hands, feet, nose, ears, head, belly, etc. I love quizzing him over and over again as he points to each corresponding body part. He also brushes his own hair and teeth and tries to get dressed by himself too. I love that he follows directions and is more than willing to help do chores and tasks around the house like feed the cat and throw away trash….even if that “trash” included the remote control to the television. There is nothing that I don’t love about this age right now!
2. You have some AWESOME crochet projects on your Etsy site! How did you learn to crochet?
Years ago, when my husband and I were just dating, I took an introductory crochet class at a local school. I learned a few stitches but never really did anything with this skill. This past year, I picked up some knitting needles that I had from my mom (she was an avid knitter) and decided to knit a scarf I found online. It was completely natural. I am not sure how or why. I mostly knit and only do minor crocheting now because I can’t figure out how to read the crochet patterns anymore….ha!
3. You recently wrote about quitting Facebook. What do you miss most and least about it? To be honest, I don’t miss anything about Facebook. Facebook was a huge distraction for me and kept me from really being present in my own life. I enjoy the feeling of not being connected to my phone or laptop anymore and witnessing life in real time.
4. When you are getting ready in the morning, what is the one product you couldn’t live without? This question has me laughing. “Getting ready” indicates that I actually do something or go somewhere. Some days, I stay in my jammies with unbrushed teeth far too long than I care to admit! The one product that is a staple in my life, in sickness and in health, is my chapstick! I currently have a stash of J.R. Watkins lip balms that I love.
5. I so admire how you have learned to embrace this year. I seem to be hating it more with the double whammy of never-ending snow and bitterly cold temps! What helped you to shift your mindset?
Last winter, I was home on maternity leave with a newborn. As a result, I was completely overwhelmed and exhausted last winter. Looking back, I am not sure where the time went and feel like I missed most of it. I didn’t want another winter to pass and miss it. We were only slightly more rested this winter but it felt truly magical! The bitter temps, snowfall, whipping winds….I loved it all. This winter actually made me long to move to a colder climate where the winter season is celebrated with joy!
6. I know you are also a reader – what’s the best book you’ve read so far this year?
I started reading The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt but didn’t have the time and attention needed to finish it. It is more than 700 pages and with a toddler terrorist controlling my days and nights, finding time to read isn’t always easy! I am hoping to carve out some time this summer to read it all the way through. In the meantime, I have been reading books that don’t require as much thought and attention!
7. What’s your favorite meal to make for your family? Before this year, I didn’t really know how to cook. My husband is a natural in the kitchen and did almost all of the cooking for years. When I had my son and became a lady of leisure, I felt inspired to learn my way around the kitchen. I don’t have a favorite meal right now because I am still just having so much fun testing new recipes out! Some recipes that have received rave reviews in my house recently include butternut gnocchi, pasta with butternut alfredo sauce and maple roasted chicken and sweet potatoes!
8. If you had to choose one cause you are most passionate about, what would it be? I have so many but the common denominator between all of them is health. I am so passionate about health and well being and truly believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
9. I know you like to run. My 7 year old son and I are going to start training for a 5K soon. What running advice can you give this beginner? I love to run but I only run for enjoyment. I did use the Run Double app last summer to complete the Couch to 5K. I still use the app now to track my distance and time, although I run for neither…I really just run. I don’t stretch, don’t drink enough water and don’t take myself too seriously. I don’t take my running seriously either. Have fun and enjoy!
10. Would you rather have an Easter basket full of chocolate eggs or jelly beans? I would rather have chocolate eggs except I gave up sugar and sweets so I am going to just vote for a basket of kale.
Make sure to stop by Beth’s site to get the low down on all the questions I asked her and how she responded to my Friday Night Lights obsession!